Advanced contra dance for experienced dancers with music by Velocipede and calling by Dugan Murphy at the State Street Church near Longfellow Square. Velocipede is Julia Plumb (fiddle) and Baron Collins-Hill (guitar).
This event is part of a four-month 3rd-Friday mini-series taking place in April, May, June, and July 2017, organized by Dugan Murphy and Dela Taylor.
This dance is open to all, but Dugan’s dance choices and teaching style will be oriented toward experienced contra dancers. This event is for you if:
- You know how to do more than just the basic moves with confidence (Contra Corners, Roll Away, Cross Trail Thru, Pass the Ocean, etc).
- You know where to be at the start of each dance phrase and how to recover from a mistake.
- You enjoy dances called without a walk through.
- You enjoy being challenged a little bit by more complex dance choreography and/or unusual dance moves.
- You are happy to assist your partner and neighbor, should they need help, to the next move.
- You execute flourishes safely and on time.
If this description doesn’t fit you, please come to any Thursday-night event hosted at the same venue by Portland Intown Contra Dance, which features a lesson for beginners.
Dance starts at 7:30PM
$12 at the door
Enter through the courtyard
Gender-free dance roles!
Directions may be found on the State Street Church website.
Parking is free after 6pm on street around the State Street/West End neighborhood. We recommend saving extra time, as it might take a bit to find a spot.
More info, call Dugan: 207-956-0207
Check the Facebook event to see who else is going.